Fasting is an integral part of the auspicious festival of Navratri. This practice of fasting can also help in detoxifying your body and getting it rid of harmful calories. The main component during fasting is water and protein which shouldn’t be ignored by devotees. Many people think that having one meal in a day would suffice for them and the portions of it can increase as well at the same time, which is the biggest mistake they make!!
Here are some nutritional tips that can be followed –
- Work on energy levels: Weakness and low sugars might be common during this period. Hence proper combination of carbohydrates and proteins is essential like sago kheer with nuts added, fruit smoothie, etc.
- Fiber intake: Fruits, green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and many more will help to stay full for longer periods and will keep a check on sugar levels as well.
- Avoid dehydration and starving: Too much of anything is not good for the human body system. Fasting can be done but within a proper specific period. Many people avoid having anything, which can lead to drastic muscle loss, fatigue, and dehydration. Having in between lime water, coconut water, fruits, etc. would help to rejuvenate the body.
- Inculcating high-quality proteins: Since it’s a crucial component during this festival, it's important to have an eye on this macronutrient. Making a twist like carbohydrates with protein, nut ladoos, sattu water, foxtail millets, barnyard millet, curds, buckwheat flour, milk, and yogurt would be of great help if added to major meals.
- As there is no shortcut to success, the same way having proper balanced colorful meals will help people to cleanse body and minds at the same time.